28.3.08

ballet virgin。。。 NOT!!!


So as of tonight, this gal's a ballet virgin no more!!!

I had the pleasure of joining my ciccia Nicole to the ballet tonight at the Colisevm for Cranko's Romeo and Julet. Covent Garden was buzzling and wet...and because we were early we had semi-hot lattes and walked around. I finally saw Kay's famous Pineapple Dance Studio and we were approached by two strange men separately while we were roaming the crazy streets of the West End. Amazing how people seem to not mind the rain and the chills of 'spring'... I can just imagine how warm it must be back home and getting a call from my good friend Pong only made homesickness a notch higher! He called me about a problem he was having. It felt so weird to be talking to someone from home, lost in the West End. It almost felt like I was in one of 'em PLDT commercials.

Ballet has always been a very daunting thing for me. True-- I've always been fascinated by theatre but that was the length of my 'cultural' immersion, sort of. Being here and meeting all kinds of people taught me so much, simply opening my eyes to the experience of nationalities that thrive differently. I am fairly open and easy to please...I appreciate different things... and although I've never been to the ballet before and viewed it all with a novice's eye, I am actually happy I went. It was very weird to watch something that was all orchestra and classical dance. I did appreciate it and was thinking that if it had been The Phantom of the Opera, I would definitely be blown away. The actors were very expressive. I can imagine how hard it must be being on the tips of your toes with your facial expressions all aglow. It was certainly an experience and I'm still amazed at the thought that I survived three acts without any talking. I loved the second act. It was very playful and the rapport that the corps de ballet had with the audience was just amazing. The talent was just mind-blowing. I told Nicole to start dancing already so I can watch her and cheer her on. I've gotten very close to her and I am very thankful for the friends who I've met here. I've been lucky. Really lucky.

I laughed a lot in the second act and fell in love with the adorable corps de ballet and cried a bit as well... Romeo and Juliet is one flippin' sad love story. And I hate sad endings which is virtually why French films don't appeal to my do-gooder persona!


x



S