30.8.08

Greenwich



Went out with a new found friend (NFF) yesterday. We met at noontime and sauntered off to East London and took advantage of the amazing sun. It was just too gorgeous for words. We took the DLR tube with the steady flow of weekend commuters. Thank heavens. I find that am always a bit excited to go to the banking district on weekends. Maybe because I've lived in the Southwest and Northern part that I always truly look forward to sights not oft seen. The wharfy side (minus all the suits hustling and bustling about!) on a weekend was truly a sight to behold. It had been the docks in the olden days and has become the new financial district. Funnily enough NFF didn't like bankers because initial exposure to the lot had been in a wedding, playing plus1 in the midst of HK-based bankers. I don't know what put him off, as he said they were very standoffish. I think the groom had been Cantonese as well so I reckon the language barrier didn't help one bit. On my end, I have met a couple of people who worked in finance and I would have to say that the ones I've met have been pretty cool and down-to-earth.

NFF & I got off our stop and walked into the very quaint town of Greenwich.

Home to the GMT, zero degrees latitude.

Walked to the sight of the Cutty Sark which is still undergoing renovation because of a fire that destroyed it early this year. We walked around and settled into the Coach and Horses for late lunch. I had baked cod and lentils with a side of spinach washed down with free-flowing Pimm's.



Lunch was great. We did more walking and settled onto the lawn for some ice cream and latte. I couldn't help but keep looking up seeing how the sun rarely makes an appearance this intently here in Europe.

Greenwich was the perfect place for a sun sighting. And a great NFF who had a fair grasp of history and geography made it all the more wonderful.

We made a move to Camden after and I imbibed in the bohemian vibe of the place. It was just too much. The artsy Camden.