31.8.08

His Cup Overfloweth!

The weekend that was found me texting an old friend (Let's call him N!!!). I found out from a good friend that N was touring Europe with a group of colleagues. I wanted to know if he would find his way to London at some point- would be nice to meet up for dinner and a night-out to catch up. Being away from home makes me yearn for good old-fashioned Noypi company. That said, I got more than I bargained for when a callback 30 minutes later left me speechless. Poor guy was in Greece and suffering from an ear infection that prevented him from travelling via plane, thereby segregating him from his mates & isolating him in the middle of nowhere. I was at work & in the middle of a meeting & said I'd be in touch to check on him.

When I got back in the evening- I texted N wondering how he was coping with his travel plans. Apparently, he was shuffling in and out of Europe via train (make that trainS!!!). He was en route to Ancona via ferry by the time I caught up with him. (There was also obvious dismay in his scaredy cat voice.) He called because he needed help with his schedules and Italian trainlines. No clue as to which Milan-based train to take and when. Neither did I but I didn't think my uncertainty would help so I took on the persona of a know-it-all colleague and gave it a go. Without batting an eyelash (not that he could see!!) I told him train travelling was the craze in Europe & if I could do it easily, then he would do without a hitch. Plus of course he had me to help him out, so what else did he need? I tried calling my Italian ciccia Nicole to ask about the trains in Italy but didn't get through. In the end, it was ol’ reliable Mr Google that saved the day! A big shoutout to translation websites because I don't read a sh** of Italian and still managed to check out more than half a dozen travel schemes. I decided on a couple of options and sent through a ton of SMS.

From Ancona he had to book a train to Milan, then catch the Eurostar that would then allow him to rejoin his group in Paris. Fighting an ear infection could not have helped + being in unfamiliar terrain that was short of English speakers must have been more than a slight annoyance. But N is one of 'em likeable guys with ‘em untarnished auras (which I’m a suck-up for as they are few & far between) and my altruistic self wouldn’t allow for 'the hearing wounded' to be defeated quite so easily. I once witnessed him show a random act of kindness, so I had to PAY IT FORWARD!

On a sunny Saturday , much to the chagrin of my date Rob, N called while we were making our way to Greenwich via Jubilee. Rob remarked more than once that it was sooh sweet (the famous English sarcasm was very thick in his voice!!!) that I was so concerned. Hahaha, I had to laugh when he said that. I can't (and don’t) expect someone local to understand the frightening prospects of travelling alone so far from home. I had been in those shoes once upon a time, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, so I certainly can't just be noncommittal. Being away from home was tough enough. I tried to explain it to Rob as we made our way to Canary Wharf. He said that I spoiled my friends, how about spoiling the date who waited for over two months for a change? But I paid him no heed and called N. Phone was OFF. Got to Greenwich- still off. We went around Camden Lock and he was still unreachable. Finally, I got home at 8pm and called to find it was still off. I did my laundry and when I finished at half 9, I got through. Worried sick about the sick little puppy who was finally in Milan but weary and unsure of his next train. He sounded so defeated that I just made it sound like an adventure ala Fear Factor to encourage him. I LIKE THE FEAR...ala NBA!) I even told him I got car-chased by a friggin' Pana less than a month after arriving into the country. I told him it was okey to ask if he didn't know and reminded him to eat his meals and take his medication regularly and of course, to be mindful of his surroundings. I reminded him to check the travel options I messaged to him the night before. He sounded exhausted, and with good reason!

More than once when I couldn’t get through, the eternal optimist innate in me would assume that he was in transit. I was more than a tad worried as I am simply put a worrier beyond compare!!! But rationale prevailed as I told myself he was the shuffling in and out of trains whilst I was simply in and out of Italian train company websites to check train schedules and prices for him. By comparison, helping him find his train connections was the easy part.

Last night shortly before midnight I called him again. He was waiting in Milan for the Eurostar that would set him off to Paris. Finally! He didn't get to purchase a ticket as ticketing office was closed. I got in touch with my French friends, making train inquiry upon train inquiry to ascertain that I was giving him proper instructions. (I confirm that both friends gave me correct instructions which I forwarded readily to him!!!)

I finally got a text that he had arrived in Paris!! FINALLY!!!!! After, he texted and called to tell me I had won an all expenses paid trip to Paris. How generous was he?!?!?!?! He sounded like his jovial self that I couldn't help but laugh. There was the N that I was familiar with.

As of this writing, I am still more than a little overwhelmed by the obvious show of generosity. Kindness always warms me especially since I see so little of it where I am. Did I really do that much to warrant me a freebie to Paris? It didn't feel like that when I sent a casual greeting to an old friend, but the overwhelming generosity...simply put, leaves me speechless.

All's well that ends well.

N & I talked over and over. And it was so fun to talk in Filipino- I hadn't in so long. I am happy that he is finally with his party and sounds like his old self. What a stranger-than-strange circumstance it was- A FRIEND IN NEED HAS BECOME A FRIEND INDEED! I am sure that this weekend made him realise a lot about his strength and quite simply, I am very thrilled that he is finally getting the break he deserves and enjoying the City of Romance!!!

All the best N!!! This ends my weekend and makes me smile.

Remember- You must pay it F-O-R-W-A-R-D!!!